NAYZE MEDIA (STAFF)
LOCAL: CHESTERFIELD, N.J.
Cover Photo Courtesy: NJ.com
A Correctional Sergeant and five senior New Jersey Correctional Officers has been charged for injuring an inmate during a cell extraction in 2020. A report from New Jersey Monitor said, the six correctional officers are accused of injuring a compliant inmate while forcibly removing him from his cell at the Garden State Youth Correctional Facility.
The six are also accused of conspiring to cover up the April 20th incident by claiming the use of force used on the inmate was “justified”. Acting New Jersey Attorney General, Matt Platkin, said the inmate was left screaming in pain, covered in blood, and in need of medical attention at the prison’s infirmary for facial cuts and trouble breathing.
“Correctional Police Officers are entrusted with great authority over the inmates in their custody, and when they abuse that power, they must be held accountable”, Platkin said in a statement released by the Attorney General’s Office on Friday.
The Garden State Youth Correctional facility, located in Chesterfield, N.J., is an adult prison that houses inmates between the ages of 18-30. The accused are:
- 37-year old, Sgt, Michael Emmert, of Tom’s River, N.J., has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count of tampering with public records information.
- 37-year old, Christopher Toth, of New Egypt, N.J., has been charged with using his shield to hold the inmate in his cell as the door closed, and lying in reports about the inmate attacking him.
- 43-year old, Raymond Quinones, of Beachwood, N.J., has been charged with forcibly removing the inmate from his cell, and lying in reports that the inmate was “combative and non-compliant”.
- 56-year old, Michael Gaines, of Willingboro, N.J., has been charged with forcibly removing the inmate from his cell, and lying about it in reports.
- 44-year old, Mark Sadlowski Jr, of Sewell, New jersey, has been charged with forcibly removing the inmate from the cell, and lying about it in reports.
- 58-Year old, Michael Ambrozaitis, of Southampton, N.J., has been charged with putting leg irons on the inmate, and lying about it in reports.